Yeah, I know…another post about sewing.
You’ll just have to bear with me until there’s something more interesting to tell you.
Maybe I’ll have a baby one of these days.
In the meantime, I’ve been trying to get caught up on some little projects so I can start some other ones. I find so many great ideas online for things to make and even free tutorials and patterns. I’m limited to using whatever fabric I have in the house though, so that helps keep me from trying everything cute I come across. My fabric stash (mostly clothing) wouldn’t do justice to some of the things I want to make, and often there’s not enough of a fabric for the project either.
There’s one project I finally finished that I did have enough fabric for.
When Sadie was born, we didn’t have any wipes in the house so the midwife ripped up a couple of receiving blankets and we’ve been using them ever since. It works great for all of us cause Sadie gets nice warm water to clean her bum instead of cold wet wipes, and they’re easy to throw in the wash with her cloth diapers. They never got hemmed though so over the last 21 months they’ve been fraying and slowly getting smaller, not to mention leaving bits of string in the velcro diaper tabs and getting tangled up in the dryer.
With a new baby on the way and the need for more (and bigger) wipes, I cut up some more blankets and hemmed them using this nifty little foot that’s been sitting in the compartment in my sewing machine since I got it (thanks Grandma! And Happy 81st Birthday!).
Just from looking at it, I kinda figured out that it should make a rolled hem, so I tried it one day. The first couple of tries weren’t pretty but it works great!
I cut about 9 wipes from each blanket and cut the corners on a nice curve.
Then I need about 12 fingers to fold a little bit of the edge over and feed it into the foot while lowering the foot at the same time.
Once I get it started it’s pretty easy.
The corners are really tricky though and involve even more fingers to stretch the fabric and readjust it every three stitches just to make it around. I don’t think this foot is meant to do corners, but since it’s only baby wipes, wavy edges don’t matter in the slightest.
I’ve slowly been working on them as I feel like it and finally finished the last of the ones I cut out the other day. I’m done for now, but if I need any more after baby #2 comes, I’ll cut up some more blankets and make some!
I didn’t count how many I made, but it’s a bigger stash than we had before, and I must have cut up at least 5 or 6 blankets. Each one takes about 5 minutes to hem! That’s how slow the corners are. Or maybe it’s just me.
Maybe I should have looked up a tutorial on youtube.